Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Top Concerts


House of Blues, New Orleans - I went to this famous place last January when I was in the Big Easy with my brother and five friends where we were building houses for victims of Hurricane Katrina. We got free tickets to the HOB and it was amazing. The high point was seeing a bunch of musicians, from all different bands, get up on stage and sign "Carnival Time" by Al Johnson. The drummer was Patrick C from My Morning Jacket (I have tickets for them in May!) - it was an amazing live jam. I later bought him a shot of Jagermister, which he appreciated, and chatted with him for a few minutes. Great night.


Matisyahu, Colby College - My senior year at Colby College, Matisyahu came to play at the small student center. I was about five yards from the stage and he was rocking for about two hours. I had never heard him before so all the songs sounded about the same, but he had so much energy and sounded so unique I loved it. My friend had a chance to meet him later on, but drank a few too many beers and forgot all about it. "Time of Your Song" soon became our favorite number and graduation rallying cry.


The Who, Madison Square Garden, NEW YORK CITY - My first concert ever was when I was a mere 16 years old. John Entwistle was still alive at this point (died of a coke overdose a few years later) and they played like they were still in their mid-20s. The highlight was when all the lights went out and the synthesizer started up into Baba O'Reilly. Loudest sound I've ever heard, but an amazing night for a wide-eyed 16 year old who loved rock and roll.


Bruce Springsteen, Meadowlands, New Jersey - The Boss in his old stomping grounds in Giants Stadium. This was right after The Rising came out and I remember just an ocean of red, white, and blue...plus jean shorts everywhere. "Lonesome Day" is my favorite song - incredibly emotional and uplifting. Bruce's politics aside, I've always admired him for his unique sound and singing style as well as his songs about everyday life - he gives respect and dignity to hard working Americans.


Bob Dylan, Bridgeport, CT - Led off by Amos Lee (who may have been the best singer of the night) who was followed by Elvis Costello (bit of a disappoint) after which Bob and his band came on. Bob sang one song from almost every album...and even though it took him a few songs to warm up his voice, he did pretty well for an old guy. His band absolutely rocked, as one drunken fan later stated in the parking lot ("Did Bob Dylan's band rock? And did Bob absolutely suck?"). My favorite song of the night was "You're A Big Girl Now" from "Blood On The Tracks", which I'm convinced is the best album. Bob is really one of the most influential cultural forces that history has ever seen and it was an honor to see him live.

No comments: